Student Work Placement Program

Funded by Employment and Social Development Canada, the Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) provides post-secondary students across Canada paid work experience.

The Cultural Human Resources Council is a national not-for-profit arts service organization working with all cultural industries and disciplines in the sector including Digital Media (Content Creators); Film and Television; Live Performing Arts; Music and Sound Recording; Visuals Arts and Crafts; Writing and Publishing; and Heritage.

Employer Eligibility

  • Canadian cultural sector employers - not-for-profit and for-profit.
  • Canadian government institutions (federal, provincial, territorial and municipal) are not eligible.

Student Eligibility

Post-secondary students are the future of the Canadian labour force. It is important to prepare them and help them develop professional skills while they are completing their studies. The SWP program creates paid quality work-integrated learning (WIL) opportunities for students so that they can develop the work-ready skills that are required to secure meaningful employment upon graduation. There is no age limit.

The student must be a post-secondary student enrolled in a recognized Canadian PSE institution (university, college, CEGEP, polytechnic); a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.

Under-represented Groups

Cultural diversity is of great importance to CHRC and the SWPP. Employers are encouraged to give priority to hiring students from under-represented groups including Indigenous, BPOC, newcomers, persons with disabilities, women in STEM and first-year students.

FAQ relating to the Employer

Can the subsidy be applied to independent contract work? No.

The contract between the employer and student/intern must be an employment relationship.

Does the employer have to be a cultural sector employer? YES

The employer must be a Canadian cultural sector employer. The cultural sectors includes Digital Media; Film and Television; Live Performing Arts; Music and Sound Recording; Visuals Arts and Crafts; Writing and Publishing; and Heritage.

When will the funding be provided?

The funding can be provided in either a lump sum or in instalments over the course of the placement. For example: one instalment at the halfway point and the final instalment at the end of the placement.

Is remote work permitted? YES

What is a Work-integrated Learning (WIL) opportunity?

WIL is a form of curricular experiential education that formally integrates a student’s academic studies with quality experiences within a workplace setting. WIL learning opportunities include but are not limited to co-op placements and internships.

Does the placement have to be a WIL placement? YES

Is it possible for an employer to apply for multiple placements and to receive multiple subsidies? YES

May the employer hire someone who is not a student? NO

Does the employer have to have a student selected for the placement before applying for the subsidy? NO

The employer is not required to have selected the student at the application stage.

Is the employer responsible for selecting the student? YES

The selection of the student is the employer’s responsibility.

Does the employer have to submit reports? YES

Report forms will be provided by CHRC.

Does the employer have to be registered for a payroll account with the Canada Revenue Agency before making a subsidy request? NO

However, the employer must register for a payroll account to compensate the student and to be eligible to receive the subsidy.

FAQ relating to the Student

Is there an age limit? NO

Does the student’s field of study have to be related to the cultural sector? NO

For example, a Canadian cultural sector employer requiring assistance in developing its website, may hire a computer science student.

Is a high school student eligible? NO

Is a first-year student eligible? YES

Does the student have to be a co-op student? NO

All post-secondary education students are eligible.

Must a student be enrolled as a full-time student to be eligible? NO

Full-time students and part-time students are eligible.

Are international students eligible to participate in the program? No

International students are not eligible.

Does the student have to submit reports? YES

Report forms will be provided by CHRC.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send an email to our Administrative Officers:
Kevin Gorchakov,, Marwa Alibakhiet,, or Nicola Schneider,